Title: RAC Report on Motoring 2010 - The driver's perspective
Date uploaded: 11th October 2011
Date published/launched: June 2010
This Report provides a snapshot of drivers' attitudes and behaviour in 2010 with regard to their vehicles, the road network, Government transport policy, other drivers and road safety.
Key findings include:
• The impression that motorists are becoming more inward-looking as they disengage from national and global issues that are beyond their reach, and focus on their local area issues and behaviours which they can control.
• Despite increasing fuel costs, motorists have greater concern about the behaviour of other drivers than the cost of motoring; 97% were concerned about drunk or drugged drivers, 96% were concerned about mobile phone usage when driving, 95% were concerned about driving without tax or insurance.
• A big increase in motorists breaking the law when it comes to mobile phone usage in their vehicles, with 28% using their mobile phone without a hands free kit, up from 8% last year, and 31% texting when driving, up from 11% last year.
• The environment slipping even further down motorists’ list of priorities, with 35% believing nothing they do will make a difference. Incentivising behaviour is effective, however, following the car scrappage scheme the average age of cars decreased to 51/5 years, a month younger than last year, and 74% say they would buy a more environmentally-friendly new car if the tax incentives were better.
• With the number of male drivers over 70 doubling and female drivers tripling over the next 20 years there is strong support for compulsory medical checks for motorists aged 70 and beyond from 69% of motorists, but opposition to measures that restrict their driving.
• Motorists are aggrieved with the state of roads where they live. Some 88% of motorists think their local roads are getting noticeably worse, and 86% of motorists are sceptical that enough of their motoring taxes are reinvested into local roads.
For more information contact:
T: 01603 681922
<: 07800 690602
Help Forum posts
Safety camera vehicle event attendance
Julie Smith (07.03.19)
Parent parking and congestion outside schools
Matthew McDonald (05.03.19)
Seatbelt campaign effectiveness
Marion Sinclair (27.02.19)
Model Puffin Crossing for Training/Demonstration
Marion Creswell (25.02.19)
Travel Training for students with SEN
Jenny Wright (20.02.19)