Title: Quarterly Road Traffic Estimates: Great Britain, Quarter 2 2013
Organisation: Department for Transport
Date uploaded: 22nd August 2013
Date published/launched: August 2013
This statistical release presents provisional estimates for road traffic in Great Britain between April and June (Quarter 2) 2013.
The provisional estimates are based on traffic data collected continuously from a national network of around 180 Automatic Traffic Counters (ATCs). In addition to counting traffic, the ATCs record some of the physical properties of passing vehicles which are used to classify traffic by vehicle type.
Quarterly estimates are provisional until they have been constrained by the final annual estimates each year. Therefore, figures for 2013 are provisional in this release. Annual estimates for 2013 are due to be published in June 2014.
The traffic estimates in this release are seasonally adjusted unless otherwise stated.
Comparing Q2 2013 with the same period in 2012:
• All motor vehicle traffic increased by 2.9% to 76.8 billion vehicle miles.
• All vehicle types have shown an increase including:
- Car traffic increased by 2.3% to 60.8bn vehicle miles.
- Light goods vehicle traffic increased by 6.1% to a peak of 10.7bn vehicle miles.
- Heavy good vehicle traffic increased by 1.7% to 3.9bn vehicle miles.
• Traffic volumes increased on all road types, with larger increases on motorways (4.9%) and minor roads (3.6%) than A roads (1.4%).
For more information contact:
T: 020 7944 3095
Help Forum posts
Safety camera vehicle event attendance
Julie Smith (07.03.19)
Parent parking and congestion outside schools
Matthew McDonald (05.03.19)
Seatbelt campaign effectiveness
Marion Sinclair (27.02.19)
Model Puffin Crossing for Training/Demonstration
Marion Creswell (25.02.19)
Travel Training for students with SEN
Jenny Wright (20.02.19)