Title: Older Road User Conference (conference papers)
Organisation: Road Safety GB, New View Consultants & RAC Foundation
Date uploaded: 10th October 2018
Date published/launched: September 2018
The cnference set out to help road safety professionals keep older people safe on the roads for longer.
The programme included:
• An opening address by Dame Joan Bakewell CBE, who recently presented a Panorama special report titled 'Life at 100'.
• A keynote address from Dr Charles Musselwhite, associate professor in gerontology at the Centre for Innovative Ageing, Swansea University.
• A session on medical issues, featuring presentations from: Dr Lily Read, Community Mental Health Team for Older People, Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust; and Dilwyn Marple-Horvat, Professor of Motor Neuroscience, Manchester Metropolitan University.
• A session titled 'Design for older road users', featuring presentations from: Dr Julie Gandolfi, Driving Research Ltd; Stephen Joseph OBE, Advisor, Campaign for Better Transport; and Dr Chris McGinley, Research Fellow, Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design.
• A focus on vehicles & technology, with presentations from: Stuart Millward, CEO Satsafe; and Julia Chen, Senior Policy Adviser, Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles.
• A session outlining older drivers interventions, with presentations from: Sergeant Rob Heard, The Older Drivers Forum; June Howlett, Road Safety Officer, Transport for Bucks; Rhian Hughes, Road Safety Team Leader, Wirral Council; Ian Edwards, New View Consultants; and Dr Fiona Fylan, Brainbox Research.
The presentations can be downloaded from the conference website (link below).
For more information contact:
Help Forum posts
Safety camera vehicle event attendance
Julie Smith (07.03.19)
Parent parking and congestion outside schools
Matthew McDonald (05.03.19)
Seatbelt campaign effectiveness
Marion Sinclair (27.02.19)
Model Puffin Crossing for Training/Demonstration
Marion Creswell (25.02.19)
Travel Training for students with SEN
Jenny Wright (20.02.19)